Engineer I - Gas Distribution
This role is an entry or developmental level position providing engineering support in the Gas Distribution Engineering group, which plans, designs, and manages gas pipeline installation of steel and plastic pipe below 60 psig. This position also:
- Provides engineering support to groups such as Operations, Inspection, Pre-Constrution, etc.
- Initially, the position will assist other engineers in performing engineering calculations, analysis, research and design. Responsibilities will increase as knowledge and abilities increase.
- Engineer will use modeling software to determine system needs and requirements for projects. Calculations will include, but not limited to, analysis of gas system pressures, capacities, damage assessments, and also economic feasibilities of projects. Modeling data and other calculations will be compiled and analyzed to determine project priorities and needs.
- Will provide project management support, and eventually manage small projects. This will include acting as a liaison with internal and external departments/sources to coordinate projects, managing budgets, coordinating with contractors for construction, managing schedules, and managing scope.
- Under direction of supervisor or work leader, performs routine assignments designed to develop professional engineering work knowledge, gain familiarity with techniques, approaches, practices and the nature of engineering systems, equipment, etc. and to develop the ability to apply fundamental engineering principles and techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out sequence of related engineering tasks.
- Limited exercise of judgment is required on details of work and in making preliminary selections and adaptations of engineering alternatives.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
The knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences that are required for entry into this job include the following:
- Basic knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory
- Verbal and written communication skills (includes technical writing)
- Effective decision making skills
- Computer skills and application of software programs
- Analytical and abstract thinking skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to learn to apply engineering theories and concepts to complex problems
- Ability to interpret codes, regulations and practices
- Ability to develop effective planning, project and organization skills
- Ability to develop project management skills and to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work within a team environment
- The Company is actively seeking United States military veterans who meet the qualifications outlned above
REQUIRED ENGINEERING CRITERIA:
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
- Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry or Math and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
- Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click heredombenefits.com.
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
·Headquarters: Richmond, VA
·18 states in the US
·100 billion of assets
·Nearly $35 million in charitable contributions
·100,000+ volunteer hours recorded in the community
Job Segment: Distribution, Gas, Engineer, Construction, Operations, Energy, Engineering